The Village School - District 6
Built in 1861, this Greek Revival school house was built in classic cuniform, on land donated by William Henry Harrison Bingham (W.H.H.Bingham) by District 6. The core was two stories with gable roof topped by a cupola that contained a bell to call students to school. The wings were one story. The three rooms on the first floor housed the first through eighth grades. In the single room on the second floor was a tuition high school managed by the District prudential committee until 1893. At the mandate of Vermont legislation, the nineteen school districts were merged into one district in 1893. Between then and 1896 a second flat roofed story, was built on the east wing. By 1901, when the first class of six students graduated from the public high school, the second story over the west wing was added. No longer meeting the educational standards of the time, it closed in 1973 upon completion of the new Middle and High School on Barrows Road. Further renovations ensued and today the Village School is home to the Helen Day Art Center and Stowe Library.
"Old Yeller" is the nickname given District School #6, built in 1861. The school has seen many changes over the years. Originally housing a private academy in the upstairs rooms, the children living in the village attended classes in the downstairs rooms. etc. etc. etc. It closed in the 1973-74 school year when the new high school on the Barrows Road was completed. After several years of planning, and construction, it re-opened as the Helen Day Art Center and home of the Stowe Free Library.